3 posts tagged polenta
Orange, polenta, almond and olive oil cake. (dairy and gluten free)
A few weeks ago I made a selection of baked goods and jewellery to sell to raise some money to go towards my art foundation in September - and this was one of the ‘goods’!
I also made some chocolate Hungarian biscuits, sandwiched with chocolate buttercream, Swiss carrot cake muffins with cream cheese icing and walnuts and some lemon shortbread. I was left with very little at the end of it, and what was left was soon devoured by my family! :)
The recipe for the cake above can be found here. (I left out the rosemary and it was still beautiful!)
- The vegetables are spinach and broccoli, which I simply steamed.
- There’s also sundried tomato quinoa - I boiled the quinoa in the water that the tomatoes were soaked in then added some dried basil, s&p and the chopped tomatoes.
- The ‘sauce’ is made from roasted butternut squash - I cubed and roasted it for 25 mins. In a separate pan I fried some onions and garlic in a little rapeseed oil then added a few splashes of white wine. Once the squash was soft, I puréed it with some almond milk, tarragon and cumin, then poured this in to the pan with the onion mix and voila!
- The seeds on top of the sauce are the seeds from the squash, roasted for 10 mins in the oven with s&p.
- Underneath the sauce is pan fried polenta, which was first dipped in flour and sesame seeds before being put in the pan.
- And lastly - some freshly sliced bread with olive oil/balsamic to dip in to.
And that was family vegetarian night! Aside from the bread it’s all gluten free, too. :D
Lemon, polenta and ground almond cake. (Gluten and dairy free! :D)
I love citrus desserts but unfortunately, in most places, I’ve found that the lemon cake is dry. Team that with a lack of gluten and you’d expect a horribly dry cake but this is one of the tastiest I’ve ever had! I’m going to have to see if I can recreate this at home…