7 posts tagged almonds
I searched around for more time than was probably necessary for a vegan molasses cookie. I wanted it to be chewy, healthy and to not have Earth Balance, as it’s pretty difficult to find here. I finally found a recipe with no Earth Balance, but it called for white flour, 2 cups of sugar and a cup of oil. I wasn’t having too much luck.
So I decided to take a leap of faith and make my own.
Is it crispy on the outside and chewy inside? Check.
Vegan, Earth Balance-less and as little as oil as possible? Check, check, check.
What you will need;
- 1 cup wholewheat flour;
- 1 cup oats;
- 1 cup oatbran (or sub with 1/2 oats and 1/2 flour);
- 1 tsp ginger;
- 1 tsp cinnamon;
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar;
- 1 tsp baking powder.
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses;
- 1 medium banana, mashed;
- 2 flax eggs - 2 tbsp flax, 5 tbsp water, left to sit and gel;
- 1/3 cup maple syrup;
- 1 tsp walnut or olive oil;
- 1/2 tsp vanilla;
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (can be omitted).
1. Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Mix all the dry ingredients together in one bowl, and all the wet in another, then combine both mixtures together, stirring so everything is mixed together.
2. On two sprayed and lined trays, divide the mixture in to 18 dessert spoon sized ‘blobs’. Sprinkle a few sliced almonds on top, then place in the oven and cook for 5 minutes. After this, turn the trays around in the oven and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Place on a cooling rack, then make the glaze using 5 tbsp icing sugar, 3/4 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and a dash of water, until the icing is fairly runny. Using a teaspoon, drizzle the icing over each cookie, and sprinkle a little shredded coconut over the top.
4. Try not to eat every cookie. Hey - at least you tried.